Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Watching the Kittens Grow


Dear Diary,

My little ones are growing up right before my eyes!

They were five weeks old on April 21st.

All my darlings are over a pound; even my runt, Tulley, is only a half ounce behind his sisters!

We all had to get worm medicine today. Those nice SPCA people made sure that we will all be healthy. I had my second dose, and the kittens will get their second dose in a couple of weeks.

My Meghan visited again, with her male human friend, Brian. I heard my foster mom talking to my new mom-forever, Meghan about "spaying", whatever that means. Whatever it is, Molli will have to get it, too.

I am happy to report that all my kittens are going to the bathroom on their own. They are eating kitten food and drinking some water, too! What smart kittens I have!

Oh, I almost forgot! Tulley has adoption pending. We are so lucky!

Lynda writes to Juno:

"Spaying" means that you and your daughters will have a little operation at the vet clinic. After that, you will not produce more kittens. You will not go "in heat", either. That's when female cats become very anxious to mate, and their behavior drives their humans crazy.

Your male kittens will have a similar procedure. Some people think they don't need to neuter their male cat. WRONG!
It take two to make kittens. Besides, they make much better pets when they are neutered. They will not be inclined to "spray" urine around their homes, and will not want to roam and fight with other cats (over pretty girl cats, like you). Tou see, Juno, like human males, male cats are always "in season" (wanting to mate ).

The SPCA folks will provide all the new adoptive parents with a discount for spaying and neutering.

All pet owners should have their pets spayed or neutered. Then there would not be so many kittens to find homes for, and a reduction in stray animals. Very often, the baby animals are abandoned, and they perish or become wild.

Sometimes the SPCA can help find homes for kittens. But to do this, they need kind volunteers who will provide a temporary "foster" home. When there are no foster homes, as is the case now, kittens have to be euthanized, or "put to sleep". But, dear Juno, they never ever wake up.
This is so very sad.

I hope people who read your diary will spread the word --- PLEASE spay or neuter your pet!


No comments: